the first time I held a microphone in my hands in twenty years, I was plenty
nervous. However, a few old friends and some very nice strangers put me at
ease. I carefully made notes to help me remember my talk and then left them at
home on the kitchen table. Thus, I was forced to just speak from my heart into
the moment. I always used to speak like that, but I wasn't so sure I could do
it anymore. So it was my higher self or inner master or whatever name you give
to it, silently saying, "Oh no you don't," and keeping my attention away from
that piece of paper on the table. I'm really looking forward to hearing a tape
of that talk because I only remember a few snippets of it.

What I do remember is a theme that I was working on before the talk and I don't
think I got to it. It is something I love to share with people when I get a
chance. Basically it evolved out of my functions as a spiritual counselor,
spiritual astrologer and mental health professional in a psychiatric hospital
working with drug addicts and alcoholics. Somewhere along the way I began to
see that there is a very similar story line in the problems people trust me
with. The struggles and questions, challenges, fears and desires are very
different, but as we work with them it always seems to end up at the same bottom
line: There is some kind of loss of personal power, a sense of not being up to
the task, or of being "wrong." Many have fallen into a hard place due to
comparing themselves to others they admire and in the process, find themselves
lacking. It's always good for us to look carefully at the yardstick we are
using to measure ourselves--and in some cases, others. Usually, we need to
throw the yardstick out; it's a barrier to our seeing our own uniqueness or that
of another. My job always seems to be convincing the person he or she is really
okay and worthy.

When I was a struggling spiritual student, I was bombarded for years by a
person, D., who was constantly remembering past lives, often, it seemed, with
me. She would unroll long, intricate stories about things we'd done together in
various lives. I didn't have any idea what she was talking about, I didn't
remember any past lives. I felt very spiritually inferior to this person, who
had access to all this information. One day I was talking with Paul, my
spiritual mentor, and I told him about this and I said, "D. is so far beyond me
spiritually, I feel quite inept." He just smiled and said quietly, "Did it ever
occur to you, Patti, that you might be more spiritually aware than her?" I was
dumbfounded. He didn't say I was. He was saying I was using the wrong
yardstick. I never forgot that.

I think it's important that we don't compare ourselves to others, no matter how
accomplished they seem to be. We need to accept that where we are is our own
journey and where we need to be. When we feel the need to go in some new
direction, we can take these steps: (1) Stop thinking about it. (2) Become
very still. (3) Ask our question with love, knowing we already have the answer.
(4) Let it go and trust that the answer will make its way to us. (We can be
answered in a variety of ways--stay alert.)

I have a cartoon on my refrigerator which shows a woman looking at one of those
store directories in a shopping mall. The directory is absolutely blank except
the large words, "You are here." And right next to it is a short quote I found
somewhere: "No matter where you go, the light will find you." My fridge is so
smart.
SDP
Site Admin

Re: Measuring Ourselves - By Patti Simpson

Postby Vidyanet on Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:06 pm

Patti,

I admired the fact that you left the notes at home and had to speak from your heart. At least, I find that speaks a lot louder and is often more convincing than someone having to look away from the present moment - at something designed in the past.

Liked your topic here too. And thought it was good to hear from you, Patti.

Vidyanet
Vidyanet

Postby Marian on Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:01 am

Dear Patti,
Thank you for your heart felt piece. How good it is to see such honesty on this subject. There are so many barriers to true connectedness with others that we the - 'new spiritual pioneers' - should speak out. We owe it to all life.

Love
Marian
Marian

Postby peterarev on Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:47 pm

Hi Patti and SDP members,

I say that, Patti, like I've known you all my life, but I've only read your books and heard references to you in various Eckankar contexts. It's a real (how should I put this?... honor? no, that's too worshipy; surprise, no, unexptected events are the norm anymore; thrill? no, you're just another Soul) - perhaps pleasure is the word I'm looking for - to see you here and be able to converse with you. To see that you have the same thoughts about life that I do and have personal insights into the things I have been through, like addiction and low self worth, bridges any gap I might have felt about you being a prominent author and I being just a regular guy.

So by the way of introduction, I am very gratified to find the Spiritual Dialogues Project. Although many here seem to be of the Eckankar faith or, rather, on that particular path, it's refreshing to read the thoughts (no, I don't mean mind reading :-) ) about spiritual matters expressed in very universal and non-, uh, dogmatic terms. I embraced Eckankar in 1978 and have been an on-again, off-again member since then and have not found any system of spiritual exploration more compelling. But, even though I have progressed in the initiations I still have yet to learn much more than to simply work to trust my own experience, take responsibility for my life, help others and hold a joyous and optimistic outlook. My personal style has for a long time been to speak of spiritual matters in the most down to earth way I can without getting beyond my actual experience or too deep into organized ideologies. I went through my avid proselytizing phase in Eckankar and it left me feeling yucky in the end but ultimately more sensitive to my own reality and that of others. I look forward to listening and sharing with everyone here as the Goals and Rules of the Road suggest.

Besides considering myself an Eckist, I am also ordained in the Universal Life Church and also spent 6 years in the halls of Alcoholics Anonymous. This three-pronged involvement in spiritual affairs has given me a comfortably personal spiritual identity. Or as comfortable as a "lonely journey in the higher worlds" can be. One thing I can say with certainty is that my desire for greater understanding and awareness has only increased since I can remember and especially since finding a spiritual tradition the likes of Eckankar which offers a very good road map. If I ever find anything better, I will gladly and without hesitation embark on it, but so far such is not the case.

All the best to everyone,
Peter A. (not the other guy named Peter. See below.)
peterarev

Postby PattiS on Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:27 pm

Peter,
Nice to hear from you. I honor and understand what you have to say. You echo my own journey. In spite of wrestling with talking about myself, my experience is all I really can say with complete authority.
take care, PattiS
PattiS

Postby Vidyanet on Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:39 pm

I think it's important that we don't compare ourselves to others, no matter how accomplished they seem to be. We need to accept that where we are is our own journey and where we need to be. When we feel the need to go in some new direction, we can take these steps: (1) Stop thinking about it. (2) Become very still. (3) Ask our question with love, knowing we already have the answer. (4) Let it go and trust that the answer will make its way to us. (We can be answered in a variety of ways--stay alert.)

Patti,

Sometimes I think it helps me to read something twice, or more.

The message in your thread - the message that I saw - looked very familiar to something I was contemplating on the other day. Especially the quote I selected above.

It's been weeks since I came back and actually reread a thread here. Usually I just check to see if there were any new threads and posts. If not, I just go on my way. However, I reread your topic again (Measuring Ourselves) and it resonated because I was getting a similar message recently.

I wanted to expand more on this topic tonight, but my body is telling me to slow down and take a break for now.

Vidyanet
Vidyanet

Postby Ronchrislock on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:45 am

Hi Patti,

It was great seeing and hearing you at the Spiritual Dialogues seminar.
Your idea of a web site dedicated to the exploration of communication between us and Holy Spirit is a great one. Here is my take on the subject of spiritual dialogues.

Communication or dialogue at the soul level is without words or pictures. It is simply light or sound or a combination of the two. After communicating with the Holy Spirit, one is relaxed and has a clearer idea of soul’s destiny and how to achieve it. The boundary between soul and mind is filled with glimpses or visions which are fleeting and are easily lost. It takes practice through meditation to hold on to these visions on your way back to the mind after meditation. With practice one is be able to hold on to these visions so they may be interpreted to give them meaning.

I hope you found the book I sent you interesting, despite the fact that you have your own path and don’t need any help along the way. While I still write songs and poetry, I find religious philosophy to be at the root of myself. If you would like to read more of my spiritual philosophies on line go to: http://www.thewholistphilosophy.blogspot.com/

One in Spirit,
Ron Chrislock
Ronchrislock

Postby PattiS on Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:31 am

Hi Ron,

I usually don't check this site and am on the one about the Big Question. But today I looked at it and there you were, unanswered since November. So sorry. Funny thing about your book. I got started on it, and I lost it. It's around here and I will come upon it one of these days, in the meantime, I did enjoy the small part I read before it disappeared and you will hear from me when it reappears and I can dig deeper. Keep the faith.
with love, Patti
PattiS

Return to Measuring Ourselves