The Big Question in the Living Room - by Patti Simpson

Moderator: PattiS

The Big Question in the Living Room - by Patti Simpson

Postby SDP on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:32 am

In the mid 60s, I had a dream one early morning in which I was listening to a voice reading a book, a mystery which was so deliciously interesting it was like dining on the finest food. I listened in rapt fascination as the delightful words poured over me. Then my awareness took a click and I was no longer simply listening and enjoying the way the words were put together. I was observing myself listening. Then another click. I was talking to myself about what I was hearing. I was saying, "If I can just remember this, I can write these words down and have a wonderful book." Another click: I'm awake. I remember listening to it, but not one word had come through, except my last statement, "If I can just remember."

However, I had something more important to learn. When I mulled it over, I knew, that is to say, I had a knowing at the molecular level, with every fiber of my being, that I would write a book. I had never thought about writing; I had no idea what it would be about. I simply knew I would do it. I wasn't even very curious--most unlike me. I knew whatever this book was to be about had not yet happened to me, but it would and then I would write. Ordinarily, I'd be scouting around trying to explore this idea, but there was no need. I did not have to make it happen, it would happen, it was already mine. I peacefully let it go.

But it didn't let me go. The realization of knowing one thing triggered a landslide. It began to dawn on me, as I took my own inventory, that nothing else I thought I knew about my life, my relationships, my religion, etc, had that quality. I believed a lot of stuff, I hoped, thought, wished, dreamed, assumed, took for granted many things. I only really knew one thing. And that one thing made no sense in the context of my life. And yet it was like a calm, peaceful, pristine lake residing within me. The fact that it absolutely needed no backup rationale made me believe that this is how truth feels. It also established for me, once and for all, that I was not just living a life of isolated events. I was on some kind of a journey.

I did eventually have the experience I knew was mine already and I did write that book: Paulji: A Memoir, the story of my meeting, studying and working for and with my mentor, the unique and amazing spiritual teacher, Paul Twitchell. As Dr. Seuss wrote, "Oh, the Places You'll Go!" An astrologer friend told me while I was in the exact center of my predicted "event" that what I was doing at this time was my old work; the skills, talents and understandings I came in here with. She said that my new work, my true purpose or dharma, would be from my home, and my own spiritual base. I didn't believe her. This work I was doing, I came here to do. I knew that. Like a magic carpet, my life had literally flown in that direction. I didn't believe her, but I also never forgot she said it. That should have been it. I taught, wrote, traveled the world, lectured and counseled for many years. Paul passed away, I wrote my book. And yet, at times I would be vaguely haunted by the big question in the living room: Why am I here? Which, by then, had morphed into: Why am I still here?

I had been studying astrology for over twenty-five years and I found myself using it to help people see some of their as yet locked up potential and to help ease them through some of their difficult, but astrologically predictable, challenges. The question in my own living room hovered there for a long time. My interactions with people and their charts led me to see how valuable a clue one particular chart aspect is to "Why am I here?" I was doing well in helping others understand why they were here, but I wondered about when I would actually be doing my own "new work."

I considered all the chaos in the world, the confusion and trials that are a part of this time in history. It is a time which can send many of us to our spiritual centers. It is what dynamics like these are about. For a long time now we have placed our well-being in the hands of outsiders: governments, banks, stock markets, doctors, lawyers, newsmakers and religions. Very few of us have not been burned. But I do believe these challenging cycles have purpose for us. They detach us from the outside distractions and send us deep into ourselves. We can begin to tap into powers, abilities and understandings that we can only access when we come from soul. Then our orientation switches: I do not have a soul. I have a body. And today, the advice from my old astrologer became real to me along with the understanding that I have been engaged in my dharma work for a long time without realizing it and I have now agreed that it's time consciously to move into this new phase.

I have begun making myself openly available to folks who are searching for their own power points. My path is to further the understanding that there is far more untapped potential in each of us than we usually bring to the game and our plan can begin to clearly unfold for us. More often than not, it's an exciting surprise. I truly believe the Universe needs us to be doing this for Its own purposes too.

Patti Simpson's new work is called Soul Journey Research and she can be reached about it at souljourneyresearch@gmail.com
SDP
Site Admin

Re: The Big Question in the Living Room - by Patti Simpson

Postby Rhonda Mattern on Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:57 am

Hi Patti -

I enjoyed your article, partly because it carries the ring of truth that comes from a real "spiritual scientist"...someone who's taken the time to actually experiment with consciousness instead of just reading about it!

A few things in your article resonated for me in particular. Here's the main thing that struck me: the way the soul reveals information to us is so completely different from the way the mind deals with information. This is something I've been reflecting on and writing about a lot lately. The soul doesn't think or use words - it seems to literally TRANSMIT densely encoded information (or "knowing") directly to us. It kind of zaps the conscious mind with an electro-shock of data.

I find this modus operandi of communication totally fascinating! No matter how many times I experience it, I can't get used to it. And I'm totally in love with this--and have spent decades learning all I can about the mechanics of divine revelation--and more important, what gets in the way of these spontaneous transmissions from the soul.

I also had a few questions, as I'm not familiar with some of the methods you're using. I have two close friends who I respect immensely who are deep into astrology. I can see the benefits of astrology as a typing system that helps you to see and break free of karmic/unconscious patterns and also help you see unique soul talents. I use the Enneagram for these same purposes, not because it's better than astrology, but because it's the tool life put in my hands.

But I'm not sure of the benefits of knowing astrologically predicable challenges that you mention. Does "predicable challenges" relate to predictable events, or more like predictable patterns in the mind that are likely to produce challenges? Just didn't quite follow what you meant by that.

Another question - you mentioned helping people find their power points. Could you say more about what a "power point" is and how you help people to find their power point? This is unfamiliar terminology to me.

Thanks, Patti! xoxoxo Rhonda Mattern
Rhonda Mattern

Postby Melodie Chrislock on Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:09 pm

Rhonda Mattern wrote:
A few things in your article resonated for me in particular. Here's the main thing that struck me: the way the soul reveals information to us is so completely different from the way the mind deals with information. This is something I've been reflecting on and writing about a lot lately. The soul doesn't think or use words - it seems to literally TRANSMIT densely encoded information (or "knowing") directly to us. It kind of zaps the conscious mind with an electro-shock of data.

I find this modus operandi of communication totally fascinating! No matter how many times I experience it, I can't get used to it. And I'm totally in love with this--and have spent decades learning all I can about the mechanics of divine revelation--and more important, what gets in the way of these spontaneous transmissions from the soul.

Hi Rhonda,

Learning to hear what my Soul self has to say has also been a big focus for me. Actually what I've seen so far is that the subconscious mind is the voice that most often gets confused with Soul. Usually we recognize conscious mind, I mean, we know our own thoughts, we know that voice. But we often don't have a clue as to the powerful directives from our subconscious. It has been my realization that the subconscious, with all of our karma stored in perfect order, calls the shots in our lives up to the point of Self Realization. I wonder if we can even hear the voice of Soul before we reach that state of consciousness.

Of course Soul has direct perception beyond the mind and the subconscious, but we (Soul) can use these instruments of mind quite well once our true identity is established as Soul. Actually I've found that the means by which Soul reveals information isn't all that different from the way the mind or subconscious mind reveal information. Yes, Soul can use intuition or knowing or symbols, but so can the subconscious. I also find that Soul can use words or thoughts to reveal the truth. But if the means are the same, the message is vastly different. When Soul is speaking through the means of the mind or subconscious its unique voice is what I've come to recognize. Souls voice comes from outside the box, it leaves my mind wondering.

One of the most profound experiences for me is how I (Soul) can communicate directly with the vast interconnected web of consciousness. I can stand alone in a parking lot in a strange town after locking myself out of my car, move into Soul awareness and ask for help. Suddenly out of "know" where a young man appears, joking that he has had some experience at getting into cars. He unlocks the car and goes his way. My mind is truly puzzled. How can such a thing have happened? Soul communications move in all directions.

What blocks these transmissions from Soul? Great question, what do you find blocks them?

Melodie
Melodie Chrislock

Postby Another Birth on Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:50 am

Hi Melodie ,

Patti 's topic seems to be fascinating and also about your response to Rhonda. I'd like to add some details to your last comment and modify them :

Actually what I've seen so far is that the subconscious mind is the voice that most often gets confused with Soul

This is True statement , Each Subconscious absorb shapes , voices and outer sources like a Camera lens more than counscious mind within times and save like you said " a shot in our lives up to the point of Self Realization " . I really don't Observe or act in state of subcounscious at all , But as an indiviual experience i know it is like a mean in hidden parts of life and dreams. I sometimes feel and extract some of my occuring reactions which derive through Subcounscious mind and it is clear for me . I can control or manage a bit of them. We all communicate it every day ,But spiritual seekers really know its nature and realize how to control it in a proper direction. I think Soul itself in any level of consciousness reveals wisdom , Love and knowledge with one of its best medium called " Human Heart " . it is really one of means that is delicate to truth like eyes but fruitfulness of perception truths depend on our Golden Heart. this Golden Heart in Persian Sufi Poets repeated so much as " Del" . these are the only real experiences i can say .

I wonder if we can even hear the voice of Soul before we reach that state of consciousness.

This Statement as a Whole viewpoint is correct , and I'd like to emphasize a dintinct between Soul And Spirit . Soul as real portion of human being is different to Spirit as we know in Holy books or .... . then Connection with Spirit can clarify in many directions , But Actual Connection with Spirit is acting by reach the State of Consciousness of Soul as real part , same you said in above Quote.

Actually I've found that the means by which Soul reveals information isn't all that different from the way the mind or subconscious mind reveal information

In My Opinion , It works in Physical World by Creatures and all exsistences .

I also find that Soul can use words or thoughts to reveal the truth

This is True Because of Soul's movement which scatters and disperses in any Direction. I also have a question here about Clairvoyant and Clairaudient and their meanings . Is there really a Connection between these terms and your Above Quote ?

What blocks these transmissions from Soul?

This Question really is Deliberative one. I think it is Closed Heart to Divine Love.

In Spirit ,
Another Birth :P
Another Birth

Postby PattiS on Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:23 pm

Rhonda, There is a perfect example. I just hit enter and indent and I lost the whole thing I just wrote. Yes, yes. I need a hands on tutuorial. I owe some other people answers to some intriquing letters and I can't find the letters. So I will just keep typing and cross my fingers. Of course I don't know how to get back to your letter without losing this one, so I'll answer what I remember.

In particular, the "predictable events" are saturn transits to the natal sun, rising sign, or significant house, such as Marriage and Partnership, 7th House. Pluto transits to them also, are major life stressors and teachers--much more difficult and longer lasting than Saturn transits. There is energetic reality to what's known as "The Seven Year Itch." The 4 hard angles to Saturn are 7 years apart. (geometrically:conjunct, 90 degrees, 180 degrees, and 270 degrees.)

When I was in my early initiations with Paul I decided that I had "risen above" astrology. And the first time transiting Saturn collided with my sun, I was coming home one night and in the dark breezeway leading to my door I stepped on my kid's skate board, took a flying leap, headfirst, into a concrete block wall. Fell to the ground semi-conscious with blood running down my face. This followed by the usual aftermath of concussion. It softened my dogmatic rejection of astrology in relation to me.

Pluto which has recently been demoted, is one of of the toughest transits we go through and the much longer than Saturn transits, which are max 2 years. Pluto transits go on about 8 years. Most of the people who first consult me or any astrologer are dealing with one of the above and at the end of their ropes. Keeping in mind, most of the people I work with are not spiritual students. I think it's a winner for Maya that Pluto has been dismissed. I assure you, it is only now an unexpected shadow energy, but very there. And before I go any further, let me posit that it is possible all these cycles exist on a much higher plane, and are simply manifested as planets. Because it is all too precise in it's amazing correlations to our developments and life growth cycles.

The power points I speak of are called the moon's nodes. These are the result of two particular angles to the moon in the birth cosmology. They are found exactly 180 degrees apart, are known as the North & South Nodes, or the Karma & Darma points. Essentially, the houses (or area of activity) they fall in a horoscope (with accurate birth time) tell us what the nature of the Dharma and Karma are concerning. The reason I wrote the piece telling my story is, mine fell in an area so supercharged for me at the time with the daily physical presence and work of Paul filling my life that I could not conceive of that at being "karma." So when the astrologer told me that, I could not accept that. I didn't know why it didn't line up, because it was kind of peculiarly opposite to what I thought, but my vision of my destiny was just too overwhelmed by the presence of Paul Twitchell. And I didn't get it until I ignored many I'll say clues that I had to make some changes and break off working in the outer work too long, and I had a terrible life-changing accident on the ice in Vermont and broke my right ankle and lower leg in ten places. I, then got the waking-dream: "You need to break something." It was the most difficult thing I've ever done in my life. But I had to do it. And I was catapulted one limp at a time into my dharma work. Privately, one-to-one, with people who never heard of me, not only from my own home base, but even from my own spiritual base. No organization to plow the ground for me. And that was exactly what the astrologer predicted, but I didn't accept.

After I decided to go forward in this work and was well into my preparation, Doug Marman sent me a book by a guy names Robert Ohatto. He's called an Intuitive Astrologer. I freaked when I started to read it because that is exactly what I am doing. And he's very smart and very good. Look him up on the internet.

Anyhow, I'll shoot myself if you don't get this reply. Much, much love, Patti
PattiS

Postby PattiS on Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:32 pm

Correction on the above: the hard angles of Saturn to our suns are: conjunct, 90, 180 and 90. It's a circle. Patti
PattiS

Postby Rhonda Mattern on Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:59 am

Oh my, Patti, Melodie, and Another Birth--there's so much rich stuff in what you wrote that I want to reply to, but I'm rushing out of town for a few days. I wanted to at least let you know Patti, that I DID get your response! And I wanted to throw a few quick things out there...

what blocks the transmissions from soul?

I wanted to say to Melodie and Another birth that in my experience, what blocks the transmissions from soul is one thing, and one thing alone: a thick veil of conditioned thoughts that make so much collective noise that we can no longer hear the soul's whisperings. I've come to realize over the years that karma (or sin) is actually just THOUGHTS. Tons and tons and tons of thoughts.

I had an amazing experience years ago with an inner guide that helped me to understand this. Maybe when I'm back I'll share that experience. It was a B.C./A.D. moment in my life -- changed everything, absolutely everything. In the meantime, watch the video on my website at http://www.the1thing.net (under About-Presence-Centered Healing and Transformation) if you want to see a little dramatic portrayal of my inner experience about this very topic!

There is energetic reality to what's known as "The Seven Year Itch." The 4 hard angles to Saturn are 7 years apart. (geometrically:conjunct, 90 degrees, 180 degrees, and 270 degrees.)

Patti, it's fascinating to know that there's some science and math behind the 7 year itch. I'm coming to see there there's science and math behind everything. This just isn't my lifetime to go there, as my performance in 7th grade algebra class made perfectly clear! I have lots of questions and comments for you, but they'll have to wait until after my trip.

Love and thanks to you all! xoxoxo Rhonda
Rhonda Mattern

Postby Rhonda Mattern on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:31 pm

So Patti, now that I'm back home and have had time to reflect, what I'm most curious about in terms of astrology is a really simple, and perhaps even naieve question: How does advance knowledge of your dharma or destiny, if you will, actually help you?

I've had precognitive dreams that have helped me to prepare for events (like deaths, robberies, etc.) and know that sort of thing can help. But sometimes I find that knowing things in advance can actually cause me (or more specifically, my mind) to muck things up and get in the way.

For example, if you'd known in advance that it was your destiny to break something, would it have really helped you? Or would it just have made you fearful?

Just curious, as I've never really gotten the utility of predictions of any sort or felt the need to seek predictions--and feel as if I might be missing something in regard to that. I do know that the few times I got advance warning of something, it was really helpful, and softened the blow of a difficult circumstance (e.g., knowing I was going to get robbed allowed me time to back up my hard disk, get insurance, and make sure my banjo was out of the house!) Is that the sort of thing that advance knowledge of future events helps you with?

xoxoxo Rhonda
Rhonda Mattern

Postby PattiS on Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:09 am

Welcome back Rhonda, I am so glad you brought this up because I've been wanting to clarify a bit about "predictable". I do not believe in predicting stuff. What I mean by predictable is that when someone comes to me describing some dilemma that has the feel of Saturn or Pluto or such, I check it out and sure enough it's going on. (I even do that with myself. I don't want to think about that stuff if I don't have to.) I would never tell someone, "In two years you will have a Saturn transit and they're tough." This could create a self-fulfilling prophesy. Not all Saturn transits are tough and some people have these heavies and never even blink. So, I always let them tell me. And it's beautiful, because when it's big trouble, the life can feel like it's falling apart and people are scared and confused. I just explain what is going on, how that fits in with the evolutionary process, and when it will pass. The relief is palpable.
PattiS

Postby WaltW on Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:51 am

Aloha, Everyone
It's interesting to contemplate on Astrology within the context of the whole purpose for this website--Dialogue. Science, art, language, sports, physicality, etc.; these are all systems to communicate with life. We peer through a filter and previously hidden patterns appear. I think what's equally valuable--perhaps more valuable--is the use of these systems to communicate with others. How does truth reveal itself to someone? Spirit uses whatever bridge works. An Astrologer, perhaps, can reach someone a Poet cannot. Getting back to Melodie's impetus for creating this site, I appreciate Patti's story, because it's an example of spiritual dialogue, and, of course, of the great love reaching out to everyone through myriad facets of the diamond truth.
All my best, Walt.
WaltW

Next

Return to The Big Question in the Living Room