Thank good ness for that Vidyanet :arrow: :D

Love and Peace
Marian
Marian

Re: Probing the Great Equalizer - by Don Elefante

Postby Don Elefante on Sat May 23, 2009 4:50 pm

Marian wrote:"Coax it out of hiding"

Hi again, Marian,

Your experience of shrinking and expanding in the presence of others opened a recall floodgate for me regarding four or five years worth of chronic embarrassment (with lots of shrinking) that I experienced in the presence of “advanced” or “highly placed” spiritual students. That was a painful period for me. Necessary, but painful.

It can be quite the juggling act to find what we think of as balance in areas such as those that you’ve described. One day we’re swinging left and we don’t like it. The next day we’re swinging right to compensate, and we don’t like that either. I think the human tendency is to want to “will” the pendulum to stop dead center because we already know that we don’t like the extremes. We hope the center will be smooth sailing. But I’ve found, repeatedly, that my use of willpower to cease undesirable motion or action within myself seems to fall far short of my expectations unless an inner preparation takes place first. Then, paradoxically, the use of willpower is not even necessary. Moreover, the stable center that I was hoping for turns out to be far different from the pleasant surprise that I get when everything has fallen into place. Actually, I guess I’ve found all real spiritual progress to be a surprise in the forms it takes. Do you find that to be the case, also?

Don
Don Elefante

Postby Marian on Wed May 27, 2009 5:29 am

Hi Don,
I think the human tendency is to want to “will” the pendulum to stop dead center because we already know that we don’t like the extremes. We hope the center will be smooth sailing.

I have picked out the above section of your reply, because this is something I've been wondering about this weekend. I am one of those people who has a lot of bliss experiences from very simple things and then the coin turns over and of course the other side is a little disturbing or more, depending on my ability to observe rather than connect at a feeling level. When I have examined this I don't think I would like to be without those experiences when I can see, feel and hear heaven here on earth - but I do wonder if there is some way that I can better control the experiences I am creating as a counter balance. I do tend to create things that are extremely challenging for me. Hope that makes sense. I have just written off the top of my head.

Thanks for being there. :roll:

Love and peace
Marian
Marian

Postby Marian on Thu May 28, 2009 2:24 am

P.S.

You wrote................

" Actually, I guess I’ve found all real spiritual progress to be a surprise in the forms that it takes. Do you find that to be the case, also?"

Hi Don,
I went away to think about this one. I'm not sure what you mean, can you give me an example to work with please?

Marian
Marian

Postby Don Elefante on Thu May 28, 2009 6:29 am

Hi Marian,

I think the lower worlds that we know, which mediate the physical, mental, and emotional aspects of our experiences, is a simply amazing spiritual training vehicle. It’s not always a comfortable medium in which to learn, but that’s by design. After all, what incentive do we have to adopt higher planes and broader visions if things remain comfortable where we are in consciousness?

In my reality, when an individual finally starts to see connections between certain types of experiences and their “balancing” counterparts, that’s a preliminary signal it might be time to look ahead -- maybe even time to move on. At first, the ‘hints’ are quite gentle; quite loving in fact. But if we linger, the hints get a bit stronger. And if we linger still, ‘tough love’ begins to set in. In truth, it’s all loving, no matter what, but Divine Spirit has made sure we get the kinds of love we need to meet the resistance we have to realizing what and who we are as Soul.

I think you’ve said you only want to experience one side of the coin, yes? Do you really have that option now that you’ve reached the point where you can see both sides? You say you want to get better control of the counterbalancing experiences, but life has a way of resisting control from the human consciousness -- again by design. It responds much better to our states of spiritual beingness rather than direct manipulation. You can certainly try to find ways to gain the control you desire, and you may, but if negative reactions continue to get more intense, life might be saying to you, “Dear Marian, it’s really time to move on. What say you?”

What would I do if I were in your situation? I would place myself in the hands of Divine Spirit and openly invite the higher planes and broader visions that are my destiny. And I would make a big thing of this. As part of that process, I would be willing to let go of the experiences that I cling to so dearly, but which are dragging along the counterbalancing effects that bring me pain. I would allow and expect those cherished experiences to be replaced by something even greater because, without exception, there is always something greater. From what you seem to be telling me, you’ve earned that right to 'something greater' by virtue of the consciousness you now hold -- the consciousness that is recognizing the duality of your experiences. That recognition is a gift of no small measure.

It’s not always so easy to surrender the things we cherish (and which also lead to pain), but that’s really part of the deal. Of course, it gets easier to surrender as the counterbalancing discomforts grow more intense. The biggest problem I’ve personally had in similar situations is fear of the unknown, especially the fear that if I surrender my will, I’ll lose what I already have and not be able to get it back. But that fear never prevented me from taking the plunge anyway, probably because my sense of spiritual adventure overrules.

But the most important thing is that the conscious act of opening myself to unknown spiritual vistas, like an expectant child, has always worked out for me. By golly, that’s what my spiritual teachers told me would happen! Track records of success can be quite powerful when it’s time to take even greater plunges. I don’t know whether you should be jumping in or not, but it’s God’s will that we realize our spiritual potentials, and there ain’t no getting around it. Does that resonate with you?

And that’s where your second question comes in -- where you ask what I mean by the surprise that comes with real spiritual progress. It’s this: I’ve always been amazed how the “replacement” states of consciousness that have followed my acts of surrender have always been so much more rewarding than the one’s that preceded them. I’ve never had occasion to mourn the obsolete states that I’ve left behind. I much prefer the growing spiritual joy. ;)

Don
Don Elefante

Postby Marian on Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:48 am

Hmmm! Lots for me to contemplate there Don - or maybe not. A shift has taken place over the last few days, I'm just a little perplexed as to how to assimilate the last 20 years of learning into this new space. On first entering it appears to be an old place with a new me. By that I mean -I am sharing a spiritual space with people of a religion I left 20 years ago. I don't know how to truely BE in this space outwardly when my learning has taken me in other directions. I am not able to cancel my movement in consciousness. And yet I feel comfortable in the physical sense. These beautiful Souls have welcomed me most heartedly despite my resistance to commitment to their faith. Is it enough to Act the part and know more than the part? I am not good at pretending and at some level I worry that I am being irresponsible if I move away from spiritual relationships, which are not working, even though they may be perceived to be of a 'higher order'.

Maybe you could help me to see the bigger picture here?

Marian :D
Marian

Postby Don Elefante on Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:45 pm

Hi Marian,

Do you have any methods for working with Divine Spirit to help you resolve (or at least get above) knotty situations such you just described?

Don
Don Elefante

Postby Marian on Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:40 am

Hi Don,
I have tried my hardest to get above the situation to do with being in a spiritual group which is not working for me on the outer. Every time I enter the dynamic I come away feeling oppressed. This has gone on for 17 plus years now. I would have left the group but my inner connection with my teacher seems to work well for me. I've been left in the position where I was directed inwardly to go to a local Christian Church. This has been working well for me (even though I can no longer buy into many of the teachings) and I am developing relationships in the physical sense, which is a great boost to me in all kinds of ways. I guess I am at a turning point really because I cannot introduce people to my teacher if there is no kind of freedom or fellowship on the outer, for newcomers who are not willing to pretend they know nothing. Over the years I have seen many people come and go and they all say the same as I am saying. I guess the only difference is that I have stayed. It is a great shame when people will only let new people into a group if they do not pose a threat to the status quo.

I feel that If I leave the outer organisation then I am giving up on my teacher. But what is the point in Being a part of something where the only way to exist - is to shrink in the presence of others. As I write this I can feel the tears well up in me because I know I've tried my hardest, and like any relationship that isn't working, sooner or later one has to say goodbye. I would hope that my teacher will be with me whether I stay or go on the outer?

Didn't know what else to say. So there you have it. Thanks for listening Don. :)
Marian

Postby Vidyanet on Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:28 pm

I'm thinking about exceptional people in history right about now. Not only "spiritual giants", but inventors like Thomas Edison and others. Those who stepped far enough out of "the box" to make it easier for others to do the same. Recalling what I've read about "spiritual giants", they did not exactly conform to the status quo of religion in their own day. In fact, I suspect they broke the mould of social consciousness in their day. No matter how hard the weight of peer pressure from others to have them conform. What do you suppose brought that about?

My guess would be they touched on something inside themselves. Touched a higher level of awareness, enough that it began to permeate their being and seep into the physical state of consciousness.

It's easy for me to assume spiritual unfoldment corresponds with my memory of actions and progress made on the physical level of awareness only. Yet, what about the avenues available during sleep? And how about any actions or
progress made there? Progress at solving problems, for example? Wouldn't the answers find a way into the physical waking consciousness eventually?

I guess what I'm wondering is if change happens on the "inner", more subtle levels of awareness first, before coming to manifest on the outer? And I'm wondering about what kind of surprise it would be to the physical body? To the emotional body? To the mind? (Not to mention the ego?)

Do various levels of awareness influence people like social consciousness does? Exerting both positive and negative peer pressure?

My suspicion is "the box" is what a "lower" self is to a "higher" self. That the "higher" self will transform the "lower" self from the inside out!

Those who bring real change for the better, my guess would be they probably already realized change on an "inner" level. And as the change works it's way to the physical vehicle "the box" starts to feel more uncomfortable.

One of the things I did a year or two ago was expand my spiritual circle to include eclectic-minded people, who can accept other people as they are. And so, along with my regular church attendence, I attend other groups too. Ones that don't judge, or penalize a person according to their faith, but listen to every member regardless. I've been more than fortunate to find that social contact. However, I think it's something I brought on myself. If you know what I mean.

I thought my opinions spoke to the topic here. "Probing the Great Equalizer".

Vidyanet
Vidyanet

Postby Marian on Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:34 am

Hi Vidyanet,

Very helpful input as usual, thank you. My greatest difficulty is that I am asked about my religion very frequently. This leaves me in a position where I either open up and people start to go down the road where I have been, or I keep stum and deny people the right to learn from my teacher. I only wish that other people would speak out instead of drifting away. This really is the only way that we can make headway in developing a 'sharing' rather than a 'competing' world.

Blessings
Marian :)
Marian

PreviousNext

Return to Probing the Great Equalizer