Befriending the Ego - by Jo Leonard

Moderator: Jo Leonard

Re: Befriending the Ego - by Jo Leonard

Postby Marian on Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:37 am

Hi Vidyanet,

This looks very interesting http://www.iawwai.com/EveryoneIsGod.htm, I am looking forward to spending more time reading about the subject. Thank you.

Marian
Marian

Postby Ben on Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:34 pm

Top article Vidyanet and Marion. I find nowadays people seem more open to talking of spiritual things than when I was younger. I also like the way the main world religions are joined as one and how scientific evidence is getting us to look outside the narrow scope of mainstream thinking. Pinting it out to show some friends. Thanks for that.
Ben

Postby Ben on Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:45 pm

Thanks Jo, I loved your story and the way you told it. This forum is a good place to come for inspiring stories and the sharing of knowledge. I am glad to have discovered it.

Hi Andrea, thanks for the reminder to view life in a way that says "it is what it is". I find more and more I am taking on this view point or should i say view expansion.

Hi Jonathan, I was glad you liked the Osho quote in the other thread. I am being introduced soon to a man who is also involved in education and is helping students to be more intuitive. i am happy to hear these things are happening. good luck to you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I look back to how I've come to where I am now and I wonder about befriending the ego. Can I say the ego is my friend, I would have to say "yes" but I can also say that recently I feared the ego. I now ask myself "am I ego driven?. I would have to say "no" and at times "yes" and if I have befriended the ego then does it really matter if I am ego driven? Well I suppose it does considering what the ego is capable of doing, the misery, the suffering to oneself and others.

All the precious days one has left, I certainly do not want to spend like the days gone prior with an ego maniac. And I certainly don't want to fear this thing called the ego for the rest of my days. So how to live the rest of my days here? Befriending the ego sounds like a good idea but for obvious reasons i think I will be the boss and I also can't be your friend if I fear you, so I'll just accept the times when you manage to get the upperhand for i know you are really good at doing that and if I stay calm, relaxed, and in my heart or aware then those times will be infrequent and shortlived, that way we can remain friends and happy and at peace.

So how did we get to this point where we can say we're friends?

It seems to all come down to healing, healing of all the things inside me. Yes, that is it, without the healing there was no going anywhere, like a stagnation had set in, or was it like one big strong headed ego enjoying his time on a merry-go-round and not wanting to get off. I wonder if a dream I had not long back where I cried and cried had something to do with Mr ego finally getting off this merry-go-round. Well you had your cry and now we are friends. The healing of oneself, what a gift. I wonder if this is the gift of all gifts. There is no struggle anymore 'ego', is that why we are getting along so well.

Love seems to have the upperhand now. We are experiencing something new to-gether. This newness is vibrant, alive, intoxicating, no wonder we are friends. We have exchanged the old for the new. Anger and fear for Gratitude and courage, disrespect for respect, dishonesty for honesty, unlovingness for lovingness. All these exchanges from the little self to the higher self, from the Earth to the land of Soul or so it seems.

And what of the Master who has walked this road ahead of me and who's books invade my bookshelf, the man who I walked past one night on the streets of Canberra over two decades ago, our eyes met but not our voices, I decided to say nothing and let the man have his privacy. At the seminar the next night our eyes meet again as he thanked the people who saw him on the streets who had respected his privacy. I left that seminar feeling new and alive and ready to meet lifes challenges but somehow i got lost along the way and wanted to experience illusion and being ego driven a bit longer. As much as I wanted to commit to the path I was not ready. And now over two decades later and many of lifes experiences that brought me to face myself I feel healed and new again, fresh like the night I left the seminar after that gaze. So what does Sri Harold say about Healing? He obviously thinks it's important to have written a book called 'Spiritual Wisdom on Health and Healing'. Here is some key points, at least key points for me.

1/ The trick is the discrimination you need to tell what's good for you and what's not good for you.

This comes by listening to your Heart.

2/ We are a state of consciousness. Everyone and everything in our personal world has an effect on us. We want to become aware of what these effects are. then we can sought through them, nurturing the good ones and discarding the bad.

3/ The greatest creative force you can use on your behalf is either contemplation or prayer.

Lately I have been walking my dog very early in the morning so i do not have to walk him on a lead, no restraints for him or me, we are both free to enjoy the walk more and as well there is no-one around for my dog to bother. At a nice private spot along the way I stop to say a prayer of gratitute to celebrate the new day and have a talk to God. A swan started joining me and the dog at this prayer time and would regularly meet us there, I would at times see her gliding along the water towards the place as we were getting closer to it and at other times she would already be there. The last morning I walked the dog I was pondering over an experience I had with my neighbor the previous day, the type of experience that in the past would have caused conflict, seperation or distance with the help of ego. I could now actually see where my neighbor was coming from and that I was once like him in need of healing. This thought came as I finished my prayer of gratitude and my talk with God and with it a real feeling of compassion for the person and in effect all humanity, when I say "real", I had not noticed compassion so obviously before than at this time. I move to leave and I look out to the water and see my friend the swan gliding along towards us but now she comes with a mate gliding beside her, I think of these two creatures, their beauty and their grace and wonder if their names are Gratitude and Compassion.

Some more from the book.

4/ Once you've established the correct relationship between yourself and God, then you're able to go back out into the world and serve all god's creatures. And you will serve with love, kindness, compassion, and understaning.

5/ The power of gratitude opens the heart to allow love to enter. But once the love comes in and we recieve the gifts of Spirit and of life, the way to keep the gifts flowing is through the ongoing spirit of gratitude. Harold Klemp

It seems to me Gratitude gets lonely after a while and invites Compassion along for the ride.
Ben

Postby Marian on Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:13 am

Thanks Ben, I took a lovely walk with you and your dog.

Marian
Marian

Previous

Return to Befriending the Ego