Introduction

Moderator: Doug Marman

Introduction

Postby SDP on Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:21 pm

Part of the personal study program with Rumi that helps more completely fathom the depths of his wisdom is sharing with others.

What are the most important things we learned from the discourse, or what are the questions it raised? Putting these into words often clarifies our own impressions. Listening to what the discourse meant to others can open up completely new insights and perspectives. This is the value of spiritual dialogue.

Feel free to jump in, add your thoughts, or read what others have shared. It can be a part of your personal study with Rumi, with a little help from his friends.

Thanks.

Doug.
SDP
Site Admin

Re: Introduction

Postby Ernest on Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:05 am

Am lost. Can't find the discourses. Suspect others are too because there are no replies. I have clicked everything I can click. I responded to a private message in the discourse two dialogue in an impersonal way because you mentioned Rumi and quoted some material from him.
Ernest

Postby Doug Marman on Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:09 pm

Ernest,

Hopefully, this clears up the confusion: This section of dialogues is focused on the new book we just published: It Is What It Is - The Personal Discourses of Rumi.

We just started shipping the book this last week, so it is brand new.

If you go to this link below, and you scroll down to the bottom, you will see a place where you can download Discourse Two for free. So, anyone can join in on the discussion for Discourse Two:

http://www.spiritualdialogues.com/it_is_what_it_is.htm

To read the rest of the discourses, you will need to get a copy of the book.

The whole purpose of this dialogue section is to expand the book into a more complete study program, by allowing people to ask questions, share their insights, and discover different perspectives from others. It is intended as an extension to the book, for anyone who wants to participate or read what others have written.

Thanks for asking, since I'm sure others might have wondered about this as well, and thanks always for all of your great comments.

Doug.
Doug Marman

Postby Ben on Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:46 pm

Doug, I wrote you an email once about seeing a eagle and then discovering your Rumi discourses on the internet and how I felt this was in a way related, a few days after that I discovered an eagle feather close by to where I saw him, the feather being an added message and a gift. To-day when I,m halfway through the introduction of your book I notice one of two Rhododendron plants I have that haven’t flowered for two years has one pink flower on it, I see these plants every day and just noticed it. Reading the introduction and chapter one of your book I feel that something very significant is happening here. Something like a new phase of the journey is being revealed or maybe a reminder of what has been forgotten, or even to help sink in what I already know, probably a bit of all three and making for the guidance I am needing to get beyond some of the difficulties occurring around me. One paragraph in particular has stood out and is said in a way that has hit home and I feel that I have been a bit blinded to.

When our feelings are strongest and we seem the most sure we are right and justified, this is exactly the time to step back and see what is really happening”.

I am doing what you suggest in the introduction and just taking my time in reading it to let it work it’s magic.
Just a bit of feedback and appreciation for you. Cheers, Ben
Ben

Postby fariba on Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:02 pm

Hi Doug
About 8 years ago, when I've been taking SatSang discourses, I had a dream, "...I was going to school, worried about being late, I knew that was an important class I had ever, when I just arrived to the door of the class, the teacher called my name to check the peresence, as it has been a custom (very old custom) in Iranian schools, I said "presence" and went into the class it was a very old style of the class and teaching in East (named Maktab), the master had sit on the floor and all students arround him,he was a sheikh ( an old wiseman in a blue Aba) I sit before him he welcomed me warmly and said we were waiting for you, you are on time ..."
Next day when I want to read my discourse by internt a pop up window appeared "IT IS WHAT IT IS By Doug Marman"
that was the time I khew that teacher he was Rumi...I read all of Rumi's discourses then and sent an email to you to thank and appretiate.
now I say hello again to you and have a question is there any difference between new translation and what i studied that time?
thank you
Fariba
fariba

Return to Introduction